Dress Code Policy
Dress Code: Uniform Policy
The dress code policy at the Hoosier Academies Indianapolis has been designed to provide a uniform atmosphere that encourages learning by removing unnecessary distractions and creating a sense of Hoosier Academies’ community.
Each family that accepts enrollment in the school also accepts the dress code. If there is a change in dress code for a field trip or special event, parents will be notified of the change prior to the day of the event. Otherwise, the dress code must be followed at all times. Hoosier Academy relies on parents to help reinforce these expectations. It is the parents’ responsibility to guide their child towards cleanliness, neatness and modesty. It is expected that students will come to school with clean garments that are in good repair. To prevent any misunderstanding and ensure continuity, the following guidelines must be followed.
- Halter-tops, bare midriff, tank-tops, spaghetti strap tank-tops, sleeveless t-shirts, or mesh jerseys without an under-shirt and see-through apparel are not to be worn.
- Dresses and tops must have sleeves and backs. Cleavage must be covered.
- Dresses, skirts or short may be no shorter than fingertip length.
- Tights, leggings or other types of hosiery must be accompanied by a fingertip length top or dress.
- All pants and slacks must be worn at the waists with no visible undergarments.
- Hats, caps, sunglasses, hoods, and headphones/earbuds are only permitted when entering or exiting the school building. These items must be taken off in homeroom and can be put back on at the end of sixth period. Students are advised to wear sweaters or sweatshirts if they feel the need for additional warmth and hang coats in the coat room. Blankets are not permitted at school.
- Clothing that is suggestive, has a double meaning or innuendo, or suggests inappropriate ideas or language is not to be worn during the school day.
Book bags, backpacks, string bags, folders or any other personal items must not display patches, entertainment insignias, drawings, obscene words, gang signs or any other item that would be deemed inappropriate, offensive or reflect negatively on Hoosier Academies.
Student behavior, dress, signing or symbolism (beads, bandanas, etc.) intended to represent gang affiliation will not be tolerated on school grounds or at school-sponsored events. Violation of this policy will result in suspension or possible expulsion.