Dress Code Policy
The dress code policy at Hoosier Academy at Indianapolis (Hoosier) has been designed to provide a uniform atmosphere that encourages learning by removing unnecessary distractions and creating a sense of community.
Each family that accepts enrollment in the school also accepts the dress code. If there is a change in dress code for a field trip or special event, parents will be notified of the change prior to the day of the event. Otherwise, the dress code must be followed at all times. Hoosier relies on parents to help reinforce these expectations. It is the parents’ responsibility to guide their child towards cleanliness, neatness, and modesty. Students are expected to come to school with clean garments in good repair. To prevent any misunderstanding and ensure continuity, the following guidelines must be followed:
- Halter-tops, bare midriff, tank-tops, spaghetti strap tank-tops, sleeveless T-shirts, or mesh jerseys without an undershirt and see-through apparel are not to be worn.
- Dresses and tops must have sleeves and backs. Cleavage must be covered.
- Dresses, skirts, or shorts may be no shorter than fingertip length.
- Tights, leggings, or other types of hosiery must be accompanied by a fingertip-length top or dress.
- All pants and slacks must be worn at the waists with no visible undergarments.
- Hats, caps, sunglasses, hoods, and headphones or earbuds are only permitted when entering or exiting the school building. These items must be taken off in homeroom and can be put back on at the end of the school day. Students are advised to wear sweaters or sweatshirts if they feel the need for additional warmth and hang coats in the coat room. Blankets are not permitted at school.
- Clothing that is suggestive, has a double meaning or innuendo, or suggests inappropriate ideas or language is not to be worn during the school day.
Book bags, backpacks, string bags, folders, or any other personal items must not display patches, entertainment insignias, drawings, obscene words, gang signs, or any other item that would be deemed inappropriate, offensive, or reflect negatively on Hoosier.
Student behavior, dress, signing, or symbolism (beads, bandanas, etc.) intended to represent gang affiliation will not be tolerated on school grounds or at school-sponsored events. Violation of this policy will result in suspension or possible expulsion.